Friday, June 17, 2011

3 Diabetic Cats in NY; Bean has Cancer

June 17, 2011--I got this email this morning:
Hello,

I am reaching out to you for advice and assistance, as I am not sure who to reach out to. My grandfather has three cats, ranging from 15-17 years, all of which are diabetic. He has for years provided shots for them, as well as medicine.

My grandfather is undergoing chemo treatment and is too frail to take care of them. He loves these cats and refuses to leave them, which is effecting his quality of life.

I am wondering if you could point me to a hospice or pet referral center that is located in New York—NYC, upstate, or Long Island.

The cats are older, but otherwise healthy (and shy). Please let me know if you have any advice.
I responded:
I am so sorry to hear of your grandfather's situation. I can only imagine how difficult this is on him, you, and the three cats. Your grandfather must be a most awesome man. But there comes a point at which he must put his own health needs first.

Diabetic Cats in Need does not have a shelter or foster network. We do our best to find a new situation for diabetic cats. Offhand, I do not know any hospice or pet referral centers in NY, but let's see what we can do.

I will post your message (without phone #) on DCIN's Facebook page and on a couple internet sites of caregivers of diabetic cats. I'll start getting the word out and ask for ideas.

In the meanwhile, I ask that you continue your search. Google searching, I came up with Animal Hospice of NY and Angel's Gate as pet hospices in NY. However, there also is a recent article about possible cruelty at Angel's Gate. Even before I saw that article, I was going to warn you that there often are allegations of inadequate care at animal hospice facilities and that you should personally visit any facility you are considering and ask for and check out references.

We might get suggestions of facilities that are not nearby. Or suggestions of high-end facilities. Here is one established by the Vet School at Texas A&M. The fees are huge. But depending on your grandfather's means and his love for his pets, he may want to consider something like this.

We may find someone(s) who is (are) willing to adopt one or more of the cats into their own home(s). For this purpose, could you email me photos of the cats, with their names? Otherwise, I think we have all the information we need for the time being.

I am sure you have considered talking with your grandfather about having his cats euthanized. This is a quote from a vet acquaintance of mine when discussing euthanasia for pets when the caregiver passes. "Cruel is allowing them to go to some of the hell holes that are otherwise called 'sanctuaries'. Or to have them end up in a shelter...or in a home that simply did not love or care for them properly.... If I get hit by a bus tomorrow, I do have a friend who will take my cats. If that person is no longer able or willing, then I have another friend who has been instructed to have them humanely euthanized." I am certainly not pushing this solution, but I wanted to put it on the table.

PS--It took me some time to put this together because I kept getting teary-eyed for your grandfather and his beloved cats. He is a marvelous man having cared for three diabetics. I wish I could have known him. Please let him know that he and his cats have my prayers, and that I am a cancer survivor and understand the hell of chemotherapy.
If you can help, please let DCIN know. Post here or email to ennis93 @att.net (remove space). And please crosspost.

For those who wonder about me putting out the PTS option---I might not have done that in a different situation or for younger cats.

1 comment:

Stefani said...

I would wait before making decisions based on PETA's allegations.

I am neither pro-PETA nor anti-PETA. I really appreciate some of the changes they have helped come about, such as the unpopularity of fur, and some of their undercover investigations.

On the other hand, PETA belives that euthanasia is the best end for many animals, and they have a very pro-euth stance in terms of when it should be applied. They are against No Kill, and would by definition consider hospicing a dying animal cruelty de facto. Once they are sick, you have to kill them according to PETA. In fact, half the time when they are not sick, PETA thinks they should be killed anyway.

Angel's Gate may be overstretched and perhaps there is reason not to send any animal there. On the other hand, PETA does have a euthanasia promotion agenda and would jump on any slippage of care standards to justify advocating euth.

Probably they think if you miss a day cleaning litterboxes, all your cats should be euthed due to horrific conditions.

Just sayin.