Friday, January 1, 2016

Why We Love Our Extra-Sweet Kitties


As the new year begins, I thought it would be nice for us all to reflect on why and how much we love our kitties with diabetes.  The below are excerpts from posts made by DCIN fans about their kitties in honor of Jack Abraham Resnick's 6th Gotcha Day on 12/29/15.

**My angel Maggie was a great talker and had a voice like a Siamese, so she was very loud and always saying something silly. Daphne is my tiniest girl, and I adore her because she has just learned how to sit on my lap after being so timid for almost 16 years. Zoey is my gorgeous calico, who has taken Maggie's place in my bed and cuddles me at night to keep me from being lonely. Pokey George is my sweet timid boy, who has finally allowed me to pick him up and cuddle him for the first time in almost 16 years. Pearle is mama to Daphne, Zoey, and Pokey George and always comes to comfort me when I'm crying by putting her paws on my face and giving me kisses. And last by not least, Sweetie, who's only been with me for just under 2 years and is a great big lug of a lover boy being there for all kinds of hugs and kisses even tho' he's in kidney failure and has FIV.

**To date we have adopted 6 senior male diabetics, and each one has stolen a piece of my heart. Nelson was first in 2012. He was at a shelter in VA. I knew nothing about feline diabetes but I say he taught me everything I know. I found DCIN when we were planning to transport him and I have been a supporter ever since. The next 5 have all come to us because of DCIN and all have been long distance adoptions. Piper and Oscar in 2013, Leo in 2014 and Romeo and Den in 2015. The first three have left us, but we currently have 3 diabetics in the house. I became a case manager for DCIN in Jan of 2015 because of the on-going need for helping people navigate the disease. We adore each that joins our family and I am sure we will welcome more in the future.

**I love my kitties' way of doing what we call "drive by lovin'." They walk past you, then at the last minute bam! Lean against you hard and then keep walking. I love the good morning pats as Lady gently taps my cheek to wake me up. I love the jealous pacing as they see me pet an outside cat while they are looking thru the window. I love the huge scramble of paws on tile when I shake the food bag at breakfast. I love the way my diabetic kitty gives me such a tolerant look when I say time for your shot. Then she walks over and sits nicely while I give it. I love sitting on the couch to read, then being swarmed by furbabies who are gonna cuddle and help me with those pesky pages.  They all have my heart.

**I love my cat Marvel because she welcomes me when I come home, she lets me give her kisses, she sleeps by or on me sometimes, she lets me pet her, and she brings calmness, joy, happiness. She saved us!

**I love my Bella Donna for way more than six reasons, but here are six:
1. She's a living manifestation of joy -- she purrs all the time and makes me laugh at least once a day.
2. She's a great traveler and made a move across the country with me.
3. She was very patient about her blood tests and insulin shots before she went into remission.
4. She snuggles with me in bed at night.
5. She loves to chit-chat with me.
6. She's so beautiful and shiny, and she glows when she's in the bright sunlight.

**I moved out of the country for college and had to leave my fur-babies with my mom until I return. It's not easy to do, so I've had a lot of time to reflect on what I miss most and love about them. I love my diabetic kitty for opening my eyes and heart to a world of cats I didn't know existed. I love furry alarm clocks that pat my face to let me know it's time for food. I love having to take breaks from homework because my cat is sitting on my book and/or paper. I love never having a hair free shirt because I usually have Boo sitting on my shoulder when home. I love eating my cereal standing up because I'm swarmed by cats wanting the milk. I love when my kitty pushes his face through the broken blinds when I pull up outside the house each night.

**Because they love me without judgement. They are the best testers in the world for my kitty mats. They have shown me that fleece is definitely the fabric of choice for a kitty. If I don't feel good, they know they can make me feel better by warming my lap with their body heat and warming my heart with their purrs. They remind me that that you should live life in the now - Vinny had to have his leg amputated due to cancer and he doesn't care. He shows me every day that Life is still good, and who cares if he is a tripod. They show me who has negative energy and who has healing positive energy. The people they love are the latter. They show me that naps and sun puddles are the Bomb! and that it is OK to take the time to just enjoy things like that.

**I love my extra-sweet kitty because: 1. He decided to come to my front door, knowing I wouldn't turn him away. 2. For being the MOST affectionate cat I've ever had. 3. For enduring the numerous tests, exams, needle pricks and more without ONCE scratching or biting ANYONE! 4. For nuzzling up to me when I"m crying as no one knows what is wrong with him, as well as being diabetic. 5. For having a coat of silk that is wonderful just to touch. 6. For making me realize that he came to me for a reason and just wish I could fix all his problems.

**Reasons why I love my extra-sweet kitty: 1) Jasper--who had been our next-door-neighbor for eight years--is a cuddle bunny. 2) I know that he wouldn't be alive if we hadn't taken him in because the neighbor left him outside with dry food and expected him to go away to die. So, I feel good seeing him shiny coated and happy. 3) He's been so good about using the litter box.

**Sweet Simba, my Florida Orange from Jacksonville, FL via DCIN is a truly handsome boy. He is assertive & sticks up for himself without being aggressive. He loves running water! He gets along with his 13 sister & brother cats of the Hedgenettle Gang. After 10 weeks, he is gradually learning how to cuddle. He is happy in Maine, which is a little cooler than Florida! He takes his insulin like a champ & does well with blood testing. He has a good appetite & loves the chicken his Fur-Daddy makes for him.

Now that you've read how amazing these extra-sweet kitties are, maybe you want one for yourself!  Or if you already have one (or more), maybe you'd like to add another to your clowder!  Regardless, the DCIN Team wishes everyone a very happy 2016! 

No comments: